Metro Drug Coalition, Inc.
Youth Initiatives Coordinator
Closing Date: April 28, 2021
Metro Drug Coalition is a non-profit organization that serves as the drug misuse prevention, professional training and public awareness arm of Knoxville and Knox County.
Mission: To improve the health of the greater Knoxville community by reducing the use of alcohol and drugs through policy, systems and environment change
Vision: A healthy and safe community free of substance misuse
About: As a staff member of Metro Drug Coalition (MDC), the Youth Initiatives Coordinator is expected to become familiar with the MDC’s programs and services and remain committed to MDC’s mission of reducing youth substance use/misuse in our community. Due to the nature of this position, the Youth Initiatives Director must be a positive role model.
Youth initiatives involves working with young people in Knox County who may be at higher risk for developing substance use disorders, those who may have a personal connection to addiction, or those who are passionate about substance prevention and mental health. MDC has a desire for creating change around substance use and mental health issues. By creating open dialogue, youth can freely discuss challenges they or their peers may be facing. Teaching youth to identify, understand and respond appropriately to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders among their peers can create opportunities for positive peer engagement and healthy interactions.
- Support youth led projects to help students succeed with their established goals
- Establish and maintain partnerships connecting youth with community resources needed to accomplish their goals and objectives
- Work with the Executive Director to ensure that grant requirements are met
- Recruit adult volunteers to assist with targeted youth with after school programming
- Coordinate training and retreat opportunities for targeted at-risk youth
- Develop mechanism to gather student outcomes for grant reporting purposes
- Identify opportunities to expand partnerships through other community partners to identify and engage with at risk youth
- Provide guidance to students in youth programs
- Provide community presentations on substance use/misuse
- Provide supplemental classroom drug education materials for Knox County middle and high school teachers annually
- Actively participate in MDC’s anti-drug coalition in the primary prevention subcommittee or as needed elsewhere
- Represent MDC at other youth events where MDC has involvement
- Works on policy-related issues that impact youth substance use rates
- Provide guidance and support to MDC staff on tobacco curriculum development and implementation
- Provide guidance and support to MDC staff on Youth and Teen Mental Health First Aid
- Trainings required include: Mental Health First Aid (Youth and Teen) and Adverse Childhood Experiences
- Certified Prevention Specialist (CPS) credential must be completed within first year of employment
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Prevention Services
- Bachelor’s degree in health education, public health, social work, psychology, child and family studies or related field
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working with youth and/or after school programming
- Non-profit experience preferred
- Must enjoy working with youth and be passionate about youth substance use prevention
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule (some evenings/weekends expected)
- Must have strong presentation, written and verbal communications skills
- Proficient in Microsoft office software
- Able to work both independently and as a team and have the ability to collaborate with diverse community stakeholders
- Must possess a valid Tennessee Driver’s license and have reliable transportation with the ability to produce evidence of auto insurance coverage
The MDC Youth Initiatives Coordinator will be paid a salary based on education and experience.
This is a full time position with benefits.
Please send a cover letter, 2 writing samples and resume to Courtney Niemann by April 28, 2021-no phone calls please.
The MDC is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free/tobacco-free workplace. A background check will be required as a condition of employment.