Youth Initiatives Director Job Description
As a staff member of Metro Drug Coalition (MDC), the Youth Initiatives Director is expected to become familiar with the MDC’s programs and services and remain committed to the MDC’s mission of reducing youth substance use/abuse in our community. Due to the nature of this particular position, the Youth Initiatives Director must be a positive role model to the students he/she is working with.
Richard Yoakley School is an alternative school for Knox County students who have violated school policy and need special intervention. MDC partners with Richard Yoakley by providing support for the Accelerated Reader program and providing instruction during social skills hours. This program requires coordination between school personnel, MDC coalition volunteers as well as the students.
Youth Metro Drug Coalition (YMDC) is a student-led, but adult guided program, which brings together high school student representatives from Knox County Schools who are advocates for positive change. Students in YMDC have been personally impacted by substance use and have a passion to prevent their peers from making risky decisions through awareness activities. MDC launched the program in 2016-17 school year and is still continuing to evolve.
The Youth Initiatives Director reports directly to the Executive Director.
- Support youth led projects to help students succeed with their established goals for the year
- Establish and maintain partnerships connecting youth with community resources needed to accomplish their goals and objectives
- Work with the Executive Director to ensure that grant requirements are met
- Recruit adult volunteers to assist with YMDC
- Coordinate training and retreat opportunities for the YMDC students
- Establish working relationships with Richard Yoakley school personnel and coalition volunteers
- Develop mechanism to gather student outcomes for grant reporting purposes
- Identify opportunities to expand membership in YMDC through high school personnel
- Provide guidance to students in YMDC
- Provide community presentations on substance use/abuse
- Provide classroom education primarily in Knox County middle and high school health and wellness classes
- Actively participate in MDC’s anti-drug coalition
- Represent MDC at other youth events where MDC has involvement
- Present and coordinate drug education activities with Knox County Juvenile Court
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- Bachelor’s degree in health education, social work, psychology, child and family studies or related field
- Experience working with youth
- Must enjoy working with youth and be passionate about youth substance use prevention
- Must have strong presentation, written and verbal communications skills
- Proficient in Microsoft office software
- Able to work as a team and deal with diverse community stakeholders
- Must possess a valid Tennessee Driver’s license and have reliable transportation with the ability to produce evidence of auto insurance coverage
The MDC Youth Initiatives Director will be paid a salary based on education and experience.
This will be a part-time (20 hours per week) position until mid-May. At that time, it will be full time with benefits.
Submitting your application:
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume and 2 writing samples to: Karen Pershing firstname.lastname@example.org; no phone calls please. Deadline for applications is Friday, March 10th.
The MDC is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace. A background check will be required as a condition of employment.